Thursday, June 7, 2018

A Note from Mr. Haas

It seems like just yesterday that I received a phone call asking me if I was willing to sub for gifted for a few weeks. Of course, a few weeks turned into a few months before my principal took a chance on me and slid a contract across the table for me to sign. The agreement was that I would finish out the school year and then move upstairs to teach reading and social studies. I always knew that I would be back and gifted at some point. However, I was taken completely by surprise when I was offered the job late last year. I was truly honored to take the helm of such a long-running program alongside the amazing Mrs. Medley. I immediately found her to be a wonderful partner and together we set out to implement long-needed changes to the program.

I am extremely proud of the work we accomplished this year. Mrs. Medley and I were left to recreate the entire program from the ground up, which was not an easy task. However, starting from nothing allowed me to incorporate as many suggestions and requests from my students as I could. My teaching philosophy provides students a major role in their own education. They were allowed the freedom of choice, which has been sorely missing in Room 97 for the last two years. As a result, our children thrived with a good number of students saying that this was the best year of gifted they have ever had.

I am so thankful for Mrs. Medley and I could never have managed without the help of Mrs. Thomas. As many of you are aware, I suffered a major loss in my personal life this past spring which caused me to miss a couple weeks of work. I never once had to worry about work thanks to my wonderful partners and the cooperation and understanding of my students. It reaffirmed my belief that I work on the best team with the best students.

Finally, I want to thank all of the parents and each and every one of my 116 students. We couldn't have had such an amazing and successful year without your help. I am extremely grateful that my former students welcomed me back so warmly and that my new students appreciated my unique teaching style. Words fail to describe just how proud I am of my students. I sincerely thank you for the opportunity to be your gifted teacher this year.

Have a wonderful summer!

Mr. Haas

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all you've done! We appreciate your dedication.

    ReplyDelete